Divorce: 13 Facts from the Office of National Statistics
The Office of National Statistics is a good source of information about lots of things. Below are some facts about Divorce.
We are interested in these because as Solicitors we assist clients divorce in as humane way as possible and as Family Mediators we do the same.
Particularly poignant is Fact 11 which is that 48% of couples divorcing had at least one child aged under 16 living with the family. That is a lot of children.
Find out about marriages that ended in divorce in England and Wales in 2012
1. There were 13 divorces an hour* in England and Wales in 2012.
2. This was a total of 118,140 divorces.
3. Almost half of these divorces occurred in the first 10 years of marriage.
4. Women were granted 65% of all divorces.
5. There were 9,703 men and 6,026 women aged over 60 who got divorced.
6. One in seven divorces were granted as a result of adultery.
7. There were 719 (less than 1%) divorces granted because of desertion.
8. The average age* at divorce was 45 for men and 42 for women.
9. Most divorces (71%) were for first marriages.
10. 9% of couples divorcing had both been divorced before.
11. 48% of couples divorcing had at least one child aged under 16 living with the family.
12. Divorces were most likely to occur between the 4th and 8th wedding anniversary.
13. It is expected that 42% of marriages will end in divorce.
As you know, We are Divorce Solicitors in Honiton; We are Divorce Solicitors in Exeter; We are Divorce Solicitors in Taunton.
We are a Family Mediation Service in Honiton; We are a Family Mediation Service in Honiton; We are a Family Mediation Service in Taunton,
We are authorised to undertake Mediation MIAM appointments and are contracted with the Legal Aid Agency for Mediation and Family Law.