We are specialist Family Law Solicitors. We use our experience to give our clients good advice. This helps them to make good and informed decisions about their particular Family Law related problems. These can include problems of Separation and Divorce, Child Arrangements or Social Services cases.
These pages look at what services we offer from a Legal perspective. We are both a firm of specialist family law solicitors and a neutral mediation service.
Our team includes 4 specialist family law solicitors and a specialist chartered legal executive.
Successfully assisting family law clients in East Devon, Taunton and Exeter
Our specialist family lawyers are Ian Walker, Kim Stradling. Carrie Meikle, Karen Elliott and Stephanie Hinde. Between us we have may years experience in successfully assisting clients in East Devon, Taunton and Exeter. Kim is particularly known for her specialism in child law. Ian is an expert in family dispute resolution.
We are committed members of Family Solicitors Organisation Resolution. Ian is Chair of its Devon region and a member of its national Dispute Resolution Committee.
Excellence in Family Law legal practice
Our Mission Statement is to set standards of excellence in the practice of Family Law and Mediation. It is to assist our clients to find the best solutions for their family, in a way that is child focused, cost effective and which is as un-traumatic as possible.
We aim to offer excellence in practice, but with more affordable charges. We do not have fancy offices, but we do invest in having a top level family law legal library and practice support. We invest in keeping up to date and maintaining panel memberships.
From this page you can follow links to find out more about different aspects of Family Law and about finding solutions to family law problems. There is also some information about us, including my track record and our values.
- Splitting up
- What are the options when you split up?
- Family mediation
- Are you suitable for family mediation?
- Collaborative Law
- Court solutions
- Business Clients
- Putting the needs of children first
- Children and the Law
- Care Proceedings
- Child Arrangements (Residence and Contact)
- Parental Responsibility
- Moving Overseas
- Family Mediation
- keeping children safe
- Social Services
Family specialists in Honiton Taunton and Exeter
Our administration centre is in Honiton in East Devon, but we are busy assisting clients in Taunton from our branch offices in central Taunton. We also assist clients in Exeter and Yeovil, where we are able to see clients by appointment.
We are Family Law Solicitors in Honiton, We are Family Law Solicitors in Exeter and we are also Family Law Solicitors in Taunton. We try to be where you need us.
These pages look at what services we offer from a Legal perspective. You may also wish to look at the pages on Family Mediation or Family Arbitration
Track Record in Excellence in Family Law
I have a long track record showing a commitment to progressive legal practice and Family Dispute Resolution. In many ways legal practice is slowly catching up with my way of thinking;
- I am a current member of Resolution‘s Dispute Resolution Committee (a national committee).
- I was a member of the national Family Law Committee of the Law Society between 2003 and 2007. The Committee is responsible for representing the Solicitors on issues of law reform and in seeking good practice.
- I was elected by fellow Solicitors as the Chair of the Devon Resolution in 2009. I stood down in 2012. I was subsequently re-elected as Chair of Devon Resolution in 2014 and 2017. I have also served as Treasurer. Most specialist family law solicitors are members of Resolution.
- I trained as a mediator in 1996. I was one of the first Mediators to be accredited as a mediator by Resolution. I am now an Accredited Mediator through the Law Society. I am a supervisor of other mediators and am approved to undertake direct consultation with children within mediation. I was trained as a mediator by Henry Brown and Felicity White, who were two of the founders of the Family Mediators Association (FMA). The FMA pioneered the use of mediation to resolve financial disputes arising from divorce in the UK.
- In 2012 I was elected by fellow mediators to be a member of the Governing Board of the Family Mediators Association.
- I was the first Solicitor in Exeter and East Devon to be accredited by Resolution as an Accredited Specialist Family Law Solicitor in 2000, after the scheme was introduced.
- I have been a member of the Law Society Children Panel since 1996 and have dealt with hundreds of complex cases.
- When I first heard about Collaborative Family Law in 2003, I liked the idea so much that I persuaded Resolution to run one of the first Collaborative Law training courses in the UK in Devon and I persuaded enough colleagues to train so the course was viable to be run.
- I was first included in the Chambers Directory as a leader in the field of family law in 1998.
- In 2002 I was one of a small group of Solicitors invited by the Legal Services Commission to take part in a research project looking at ways of promoting more constructive approaches toward divorce. I later had my own work independently quality assessed through a pilot of a Peer review scheme and achieved one of the best outcomes in Exeter.
- In 2000 I was a Co-founder of the Exeter Solicitors Domestic Violence Legal Advice Line (DVLAL) which ran for several years but is sadly now defunct.
- Ian Walker Family Law and Mediation Solicitors is a trading name of my company which is called Family Law and Mediation Limited
There is lots of useful information on this website. However reading information on websites is no substitute for talking to a specialist and getting specific advice and assistance!