Ian Walker - Law LinksInformation is important when it comes to making informed decisions. We have to include a disclaimer to say that the list below is not exhaustive and any advice or information provided by the organisations below is their advice and they are liable for it and not us.

Obviously we feel strongly that all children and people should be able live their lives safely and that the welfare state exists to support citizens to live meaningful lives which are free of poverty.


Both the law society and Resolution have helpful information about legal process and dispute resolution. The SRA and Legal Ombudsman are about regulation and complaint.







The Family Mediation Council is made up of the different family mediation organisations. The FMC has a code of practice, including child protection procedure that the other organisations have signed up to. Resolution is the main family lawyer’s organisation. The FMA pioneered family mediation in family financial cases. The Law Society is also a member of the FMC.





Legal Aid

The government website tells you about what is left of the legal aid scheme. There is also a useful online calculator, to assess whether you are financially eligible or not. But remember, if you actually want to apply for legal aid, you need to bring proof of your financial situation covering the last month.


Legal Aid financial eligibility calculator


Local Help

These are local organisations that can assist in family cases. If you would like yours to be added, please contact ianwalker@familylawandmediation.co.uk

www.devon.gov.uk/childprotection if you are concerned that a child is at risk of harm, you should contact the police or social services. This is taken from the Devon County Council Website;

“If you are concerned about a child or young person in Devon and want to speak to someone contact our Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 0345 155 1071 or email mashsecure@devon.gcsx.gov.uk and give as much information as you can”


For domestic abuse, the main Devon hub is;


“Devon has a new Domestic Violence and Abuse Helpline which is 0345 155 1074. Once connected, users can be put through to their local Specialist Support Service which will be either Stop Abuse for Everyone (Exeter, East and Mid Devon), North Devon Against Domestic Abuse (North Devon and Torridge) or Domestic Violence and Abuse Service(South Hams, Teignbridge and West Devon)”


National Help

The Citizens Advice Bureau is a good place to start when looking for advice on welfare benefits and debt.



The Government site says it will give you an estimate of what benefits (eg Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance) and tax credits you could get, and help you find out about claiming specific benefits. It says you can also find out how your benefits would be affected by a change in circumstances (eg if you find work)